ADD

Cathedral Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption

Built at the highest point of the city and built partly white stone, The cathedral symbolizes the omnipotence of the Catholic kingdom over the former rebel city ... Consecrated in 1739, it is the work of three royal architects "Francis of 'Orbay", "Jules Hardouin-Mansart" and "Robert de Cotte".
Classical facade wears the statues of the four evangelists, led by the king's arms listed on the pediment. The interior reveals a building with harmonious lines, enhanced by a delicate dome on pendentives. The cathedral houses a remarkable furniture: stalls (XVIII), organ carved walnut (XVII) and a canopy of Napoleon III style. In the north transept throne one of the major works of Ingres, The Vow of Louis XIII (1824).


Hours purely illustrative:
- Monday to Sunday from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm (On sunday church service at 11am)
ADD

The former college

Arrived in 1629 in the wake of Richelieu, the Jesuits in 1676 acquired a mansion on the north-east of the city, to install their college and chapel (now St. Joseph's Church) ... Edited and expanded several times, the building with an austere architecture, is organized around two courtyards, gardens which met today disappeared. The building serves as a cannon foundry during the Revolution, and then returns into a college until 1961. It now houses the Department of Cultural Affairs, the conservatory of dance, the Tourist Office and Heritage Centre. Opened in 2008, this new space has a historical, architectural and sensitive portrait of the city.
ADD

National Square

In the heart of the city, it remains an essential element of the grid plan of the medieval city. Its commercial function is attested from the Middle Ages...
At the northwest corner of the square was, once, the town house, it was the seat of municipal power. Ruined by two fires in 1614 and 1649, it was completely rebuilt thanks to the royal generosity and willingness of consuls. Completed in the begenning of the eighteenth century, it forms a harmonious and homogeneous recently restored. The facade hides deep buildings opening onto lovely courtyards decorated galleries and stair towers.
ADD

Church St Jacques

This church is, with "The Old Bridge" the only medevial vestige of the town...
From the second church built in the thirteenth century, there remains only the steeple of Toulouse type and part of the nave. In the fourteenth century, the flat bed is replaced by a polygonal apse, while the city through a period of prosperity and the church became the seat of a parish. Transformed into watchtower (bell tower), workshop manufacturing saltpeter (nave) and fort (chorus) during Wars of Religion, "Saint-Jacques" still bears traces of cannonballs from the seat 1621 in the front of the church. After the Catholic reconquest (1629), "Richelieu" ordered the identical reconstruction of the church. Cathedral time (1629-1739) it is provided in the eighteenth century new side gates and a forum. Front, neo-Romanesque doorway surmounted by a mosaic dates from the nineteenth century.

Opening hours (purely illustrative):
-
Monday to Sunday: 9.00 am to 6.00 pm (Sunday: church services at 10:15am and 6.00 pm)
ADD

The old bridge

Provided in the foundation charter of the city of 1144, the bridge was built at the beginning of the fourteenth century, with the agreement and support of King "Philippe le Bel". Once, protected by towers, he was part of the defensive system of the city ... 205 m long, the bridge has an exceptional flat deck at the time. It seven arches fitted provided with beak and breakthrough high openings allowed him to withstand at the most terrible floods Tarn.
Remonter vers le haut